- What is Camden Enrollment?
Camden Enrollment is a system of choice where all families can access great schools for their children, regardless of the school’s status as district or charter. The system will be available to any family wishing to enroll their child in a new school for the upcoming year. Families may rank up to eight school choices — both district and charter — on a single application. They will then receive a single offer to attend the best possible school given their selections. Ranking KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy as your #1 choice will increase your child’s chance of being offered a seat in a KIPP school.
- Who is running the enrollment system?
The Camden City School District manages the technology, school and parent communications, and student-school matching for the enrollment system. For example, CCSD developed the online enrollment center and hotline, leads parent focus groups, coordinates school fairs, trains school staff, and runs the matching software. KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy participates in this centralized process and no longer operates its own application or lottery.
- If I want my child to stay in their current school, do I need to complete an application? No, you should not apply unless you want your child to attend a new school. If you apply through Camden Enrollment, you run the risk of losing the seat reserved for your child at his/her current school.
- Which students must apply during Camden Enrollment?
- All students entering Kindergarten (some preschool seats are also available).
- All students who are new or returning to Camden.
- Any student who would like to attend a new school.Students who wish to remain in their current school do not need to submit an application. Submitting an application for a school other than your current school may result in a new placement and loss of your child’s seat at their current school.
- How do I apply to KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy?Families may:
- Access the online application at www.camdenenrollment.org;
- Call the Camden Enrollment hotline at (856) 536-3999 to speak with an enrollment specialist; or
- Contact the KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy Enrollment team at (856) 295-2988 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On the application, do I have to select eight schools?
You should only select schools you would actually want your child to attend. If your first choice school is not available, your child will be assigned to the second. If neither your 1st nor your 2nd choice is available, they will be assigned to the third and so on. If you really don’t want your child to attend their zoned neighborhood school, it’s important to select more than one school on the application. Please keep in mind, however, you’re your child may be matched to any school listed on the application and may have to attend.
- What if I already have a child at a KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy school and want to enroll another child?
You still need to complete an application for the child who is not currently enrolled in a KIPP school; there is no way for us to enroll a sibling without an application. On the application, be sure to indicate your current student’s name so the system recognizes the sibling relationship and can attempt to match your children together. Note: KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy gives priority to siblings; however, this is subject to availability so it’s not possible to guarantee that siblings will be in the same KIPP school.
- How will students be matched to schools?
After the application closes in March, automated computer software will match each student with the best possible school based on the family’s choices and the policies of the enrollment system. This computer software is used in several other districts with centralized enrollment systems and has been customized for Camden’s needs. Families and students will learn of their matches in late Spring of 2017.
- What if I already submitted a KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy Enrollment Application?
The Camden Enrollment system requires that you complete a new application each year, even if you have applied to our schools in the past.
- What if my child is on the waitlist for the 2016-17 school year?
If you were not contacted to enroll this year, you must apply again through Camden Enrollment starting in February 2017 for the 2017-18 school year.
- When is the deadline to apply for the 2017-18 school year?
The Camden Enrollment application will be open from February 1, 2017 through March 31, 2017. Applications can be submitted at any time during this timeframe.
- When will I find out if my child is accepted?
Applicants receive results by mail and/or phone in April 2017.
- How old does my child have to be to attend?
To qualify for Kindergarten for the 2017-18 school year, your child must be five years old by October 1, 2017. There are no exceptions.
- How much does it cost to apply or attend the school?
There is no application fee or cost to attend. KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy schools are free public schools.
- Can I complete more than one application?
Each child may only enter once. Any duplicate applications will be removed prior to the application processing.
- If I have questions, what is the best way to get answers?
We ask that you review the information on this page first and, if you still have a question, please contact us. If you require an immediate response, please call us at (856) 295-2988. We are here to help!
About the Schools
- What grades will be available for the 2017-18 school year?
KIPP Lanning Square Primary: K-4
KIPP Lanning Square Middle: 5-8
KIPP Whittier Middle: 5-6
- What is KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy?
KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy is a growing network of public schools in Newark and Camden, New Jersey that is part of the nationally recognized KIPP Schools (Knowledge is Power Program). Our students are in school until 4:30pm most days, attend special programming four Saturdays each year, and start the school year in mid-August. This affords our scholars time for core academic subjects plus science, art, technology, and trips to extend their learning. We serve roughly the same demographics as each of our neighboring schools and pride ourselves on preparing our student over 80% of KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy alumni are now in college. Read more about KIPP Cooper Norcross Academy here »
- Do you accept students with special needs and/or those who have an IEP?
Absolutely. We are proud that our schools and the Newark Public Schools have roughly the same percentage of students with special needs.
- What are your school hours? How long is the school day?
Each campus has its own hours. Please be mindful that these hours are subject to change, so call the school's main office for exact hours:
- KIPP Lanning Square Primary:M, Tu, Th, F 7:30am-4:30pm | Wednesday: 7:30am-1:00pm + Select Saturdays
- KIPP Lanning Square Middle:M, Tu, Th, F 7:45am-4:15pm | Wednesday: 7:45am-1:00pm + Select Saturdays
- KIPP Whittier Middle:M, Tu, Th, F 7:30am-4:15pm | Wednesday: 7:30am-1:00pm + Select Saturdays
- Do you provide busing or transportation?
Camden City School District provides busing for any student who lives more than two miles from our building. We provide busing for eligible students who attend KIPP Whittier Middle. Eligibility is based on distance from school) with bus stops throughout the city. Busing availability may change and cannot be guaranteed.
- Where are the schools located?
Please click herefor addresses, a map, and contact information.
- When can I visit the school?
You may visit the school any day that the school is open. If you would like a tour, please call us at (856) 295-2988 or (856) 966-9600 in advance of your visit to confirm the school hours and schedules.
- How many students are in each classroom?
The number of students in each classroom varies depending on the campus, grade and/or subject. Some classes have 20 students and others may have 29; the average class has 24 students.
- When is the first day of school?
The first day of school may be different for each campus but all schools begin in mid-August. Please do not schedule any vacations or summer camp in August so that your child does not miss school.
- Do parents have to pay for lunch?
Students may receive breakfast and/or lunch (and an afternoon snack) if eligible for free or reduced lunch. This status is determined during registration in July.
- Do students wear uniforms to school? Do I have to pay for them?
Yes, all students are required to wear uniforms. Each student is provided a free t-shirt at the beginning of the school year. Families may purchase additional shirts throughout the school year from Flynn & O'Hara School Uniforms.
- How can I contact the school?
Please click here for addresses, a map and contact information.
- What is the school calendar?
We try to follow the same schedule as Camden City School District. Our schools do begin in August, however, which does not align to the district calendar. Click here for this year's school calendars.