About Universal Enrollment
- What is Universal Enrollment?
Universal Enrollment, formerly One Newark Enrolls, is a system of choice where all families can access great schools for their children, regardless of the school’s status as district or charter. The system will be available to any family wishing to enroll their child in a new school for the upcoming year. Families may rank up to eight school choices — both district and charter — on a single application. They will then receive a single offer to attend the best possible school given their selections. Ranking KIPP New Jersey as your #1 choice will increase your child’s chance of being offered a seat in a KIPP New Jersey school.
- Who is running the enrollment system?
The Newark Public Schools Office of Student Enrollment manages the technology, school and parent communications, and student-school matching for the enrollment system. For example, Newark Public Schools developed the Online Enrollment Center, leads parent focus groups, coordinates school fairs, trains school staff, and runs the matching software. KIPP New Jersey participates in this centralized process and no longer operates its own application or lottery.
- If I want my child to stay in their current school, do I need to complete an application?
No, you should not apply. If you apply through Universal Enrollment, you run the risk of losing the seat reserved for your child at his/her current school.
- Which students must apply during Universal Enrollment?
Students who wish to remain in their current school do not need to submit an application. Submitting an application for a school other than your current school may result in a new placement and loss of your child’s seat at their current school.
- All students entering kindergarten
- All students who are new or returning to Newark
- Any student who would like to attend a new school (outside of their current charter network)
- How do I apply to KIPP New Jersey?
- Access the online application here;
- Complete a paper application at any participating school and select community locations; or
- Contact the KIPP New Jersey Enrollment team by phone/text at 973.750.8326 or email at email@example.com.
- On the application, do I have to select eight schools?
No. You should only select schools you would actually want your child to attend. If your first choice school is not available, your child will be assigned to the second. If your 1st and 2nd choices are not available, they will be assigned to the third and so on. If you list a school on the application, there is a chance your child will be matched to that school and may have to attend.
- What if I already have a child at a KIPP New Jersey school and want to enroll another child?
You will need to complete an application for the child who is not currently enrolled in a KIPP New Jersey school. On the application, be sure to indicate your current KIPP New Jersey student’s name so the system recognizes the sibling relationship as the system will attempt to assign siblings to KIPP NJ. Note: KIPP New Jersey may give priority to siblings; however, this is subject to availability so it’s not possible to guarantee that siblings will be in the same KIPP NJ school.
- How will students be matched to schools?
After the application closes in February, automated computer software will match each student with the best possible school based on the family’s choices and the policies of the enrollment system. This computer software is used in several other districts with centralized enrollment systems and has been customized for Newark’s needs. Families and students will learn of their matches in late Spring of 2016.
- What if I already submitted a KIPP New Jersey Enrollment Application?
The Universal Enrollment system requires that you complete a new application even if you have applied to our schools in the past.
- What if my child is on the waitlist for the 2015-16 school year?
If you were not contacted to enroll this year, you must apply again through Universal Enrollment starting in December 2015 for the 2016-17 school year.
Deadlines and dates:
- When is the deadline to apply for the 2016-17 school year?
The Universal Enrollment application will be open from December 7, 2015 through February 29, 2016. Applications can be submitted at any time during this timeframe.
- When will I find out if my child is accepted?
Applicants receive results by mail and/or phone in April 2016.
- How old does my child have to be to attend?
To qualify for kindergarten for the 2016-17 school year, your child must be five years old by October 1, 2016. There are no exceptions.
- How much does it cost to apply or attend the school?
There is no application fee or cost to attend. KIPP New Jersey schools are free public schools.
- Can I complete more than one application?
No. Each child may only enter once. Any duplicate applications will be removed prior to the application processing.
- If I have questions, what is the best way to get answers?
We ask that you review the information on this page first and, if you still have a question, please contact us. If you require an immediate response, please call us at 973-622-0905 x11114. We are here to help!